A Proactive Approach to Bullying
Has it really come down this this?
A school district in California could be setting the trend that other school districts may follow.
Glendale Unified School District has come up with a way to stay ahead of trouble before it happens.
The district has hired a Hermosa Beach company to monitor public social media posts made by its students to find out when teens are in trouble or causing it.
- The company Geo Listening is analyzing the posts of 13,000 students at eight Glendale middle and high schools.
- The goal is to give school administrators critical information as soon as possible.
- “The whole purpose is student safety,” say administrators
- It works by monitoring for keywords where if a student is considering harming themselves, harming someone else.
- And they monitor on and OFF campus!
- During the pilot service last year, Geo Listening and the district were able to intervene with a suicidal student.
- The Geo Listening company claims their system has led to numerous successful interventions on behalf of students that intended self-harm, suicide, bullying, truancy, substance abuse, and vandalism. We monitor only public posts to social networks. We do not monitor privatized pages, SMS, MMS, email, phone calls, voicemails.
- What do some of the students think? One said “he doesn’t mind the monitoring and neither does his mother.”
- The cost of the monitoring service is $40,500 a year.
Courtesy of CBS News